Free Firmware Update for AVIC-F500BT
NEW Free Firmware Update (Version 2.0) Now Available for AVIC-F500BT
January 27, 2009
Dear Valued Pioneer Customer:
We would like to inform you of the availability of a NEW free firmware update for the AVIC-F500BT navigation system. This firmware update is not for the AVIC F-Series in-dash models (AVIC-F90BT, AVIC-F900BT, AVIC-F700BT and AVIC-F7010BT) - the update for those models can be found [here]. In addition, this firmware update applies only to models sold in the United States
This firmware update (version 2.0) contains important performance improvements relating to, among other things, Bluetooth connectivity (including certain Blackberry models), iPod Touch (v2.0) compatibility, touch screen response, display brightness, and SD and USB media playback.
This notice explains how to obtain the free firmware update and how to determine if the firmware update has already been installed on an AVIC-F500BT.
Even if you are not currently experiencing any issues with your AVIC-F500BT, we still recommend that you install the free firmware update. Installation of the update should take approximately ten minutes to complete.
HOW TO OBTAIN THE FREE FIRMWARE UPDATE:
Pioneer is offering the following four options for consumers to obtain the free firmware update:
- Download the free update to a computer from [here], and transfer the update to an SD card for insertion into the AVIC-F Series system; OR
- Order on-line a SD card containing the free update by accessing the following URL: http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/avicfirmware; OR
- Order by phone a SD card containing the free update by calling Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404 and then transferring to the Parts Order Department (select Option 1); OR
- Arrange for an AVIC-F500BT to be shipped to Pioneer for installation of the free update by calling Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404 and then transferring to the Warranty & Service Department (select Option 2).
HOW TO DETERMINE IF THE FIRMWARE UPDATE HAS ALREADY BEEN INSTALLED:
To determine if the new firmware update has already been installed on an AVIC-F500BT, please power on the system and do the following:
- Press the "Menu" button; then touch the "Settings" tab;
- Touch the "System Settings" tab; then touch the "Service Information" tab;
- The "Map version" number and the "Version" number are both displayed -- please look at the "Version" number, which is displayed on the lower line; and
- If the "Version" number is "1.001900" or an earlier/smaller number, please install the new firmware update. If the "Version" number is "2.000000" or a later/larger number, the system has already been updated with the new firmware.
In addition, all existing AVIC-F500BT inventory that has been updated with the new firmware by Pioneer will have a red dot on the product box (next to the serial number) and on the back of the unit itself (next to the serial number).
If you have any questions, please contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404. Pioneer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern Time), except on holidays.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.