The DVR-108 is capable of writing at speeds up to 16x maximum on DVD-R and +R discs that are designed for this recording speed, as well as specified 8x media. With 16x media not yet available, Pioneer's DVR-108 is allowing customers to write on currently available 8x media at faster speeds by capitalizing on Pioneer’s over specification technology, a writing strategy designed to allow the DVR-108 to record at higher speeds with certain media. The double-layer technology extends data storage capacity on DVD recordable discs from 4.7 gigabytes to 8.5 gigabytes. The new drive is also dual format, which support DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats to eliminate consumer confusion.
Pioneer engineers focused on improving the writing/recording quality and reliability for high-speed writing. New technology accommodates for variances in blank media. Some of the technological advancements include:
- Quiet Drive technolgoy which reduces the operating noise by about 75%.
- Pioneer-developed Liquid Crystal Control System for precise recording onto the surface of discs that may be warped or of uneven thickness.
- Smart Laser Driver to provide a precise laser pulse control and achieve more reliable recording for high-speed writing.
- Precision Recording Technology, which utilizes an auto-adjustable writing technique to enable recording under the best conditions for each disc characteristic at all times. This technology, first introduced in the DVR-A06, enables the DVR-108 to achieve optimal initial writing performance and helps to minimize the normal deterioration of re-recordable discs due to repeated writing. As a result, the quality for repeatedly used DVD-RW discs is up to 10 times better than previous writers.
- An< Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber that reduces vibrations that can affect performance during high-speed recording and playback of some discs. With this feature, the high precision servo system remains stable during both high-speed recording and playback.
DVD-R 4.7GB, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
CD-R 700 (type 80), 650MB (type 74), CD-RW, Highspeed CD-RW, Ultraspeed CD-RW
|DVD||DVD-ROM, DVD-VIDEO (Single & Dual layer), DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+r, DVD+RW & DVD-RAM|
|CD||CD-ROM(Mode1&2), CD-ROM XA, CD-DA (CD Audio), Video CD, PhotoCD (single/multi-session), CD EXTRA, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW|
|IDE Data Transfer Mode||PIO Mode 4, Multi Word DMA Mode 2, Ultra DMA Mode 4 (Ultra DMA 66|
|Auto Interface||Analog Audio Output|
|DVD-R||16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x, 1x|
|DVD - RW||4x*4, 2x, 1x|
|DVD + R||16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x. 2.4x|
|DVD + RW||4x, 2.4x|
|DVD+R DL*2||4x, 2.4x|
|CD - R||32x, 24x , 16x, 10x, 4x|
|CD - RW||24x, 20x, 16x, 10x, 4x|
|DVD-ROM (Single)||Max 16x CAV|
|DVD-ROM (Dual)||Max 12x CAV|
|DVD+R, DVD-R||Max 12x CAV|
|DVD+RW, DVD-RW||Max 8x CAV|
|DVD+R DL*2||Max 8x CAV|
|CD-ROM||Max 40x CAV|
|CD-R||Max 40x CAV|
|CD-RW||Max 32x CAV|
|CD-DA (DAE)||Max 40x CAV|
|CD-DA||Max 9.3x CAV|
|Video-CD||Max 9.3x CAV|
|Access Time (random average)|
|Seek Time (random average)|
|Data Buffer||2 MBytes|
|Mounting Orientation||Horizontal and Vertical|
|Maximum Power Consumption||25.25W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||148 x 42.3 x 198mm, 5-13/16” x 1-11/16” x 7-13/16”|
|Net Weight||1.1 kg, 2.42lbs|
|DVR108 General Specification||61 kb|
|Drive Installation Instructions||186 kb|
|R8 Recordable Media Speeds Chart||60 kb|
|Disc Care and Maintenance||57 kb|
|DVR-108 Firmware update to version 1.20B||1,177 kb|
|DVR Advanced Quiet-Drive Utility version 1.05
to reduce noise while the disc spins (for Windows 98/ME/XP/2000)
|Device Info & firmware level detector||232 kb|