Pioneer Unviels Its Next Integration of Smartphone Connectivity with Three New Flagship NEX In-Dash Receivers
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today introduced the latest implementation of the popular NEX platform, the AVIC-W8400NEX, AVIC-W6400NEX and AVH-W4400NEX aftermarket in-dash receivers featuring built-in Wi-Fi® wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable-free connection between the driver or passenger’s smartphone and the receiver. These units are the first to offer compatibility with Apple CarPlay1 with the option of connecting to a compatible iPhone® via either a wireless connection or wired USB connection. Two of the three units, the AVIC-W8400NEX and AVH-W4400NEX, are also compatible with Android Auto™ Wireless and Android Auto2 over USB when used with a compatible Android™ smartphone. All three NEX models also include Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™ wireless mirroring3, car-to-home smart home integration, Pandora® internet radio, SiriusXM Ready®, iDatalink® Maestro® support, advanced Bluetooth®4 capabilities, Pioneer’s AppRadio® Mode+ and FLAC file playback.
“We’re excited to expand our NEX line with models that deliver the latest advancements in smartphone integration,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing at Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “With our wireless connectivity options, you no longer need to worry about taking your smartphone out of your bag or pocket before getting in the car – connecting has never been easier.”
Pioneer’s newest receivers offer an unprecedented level of connectivity, convenience and entertainment features including:
WIRELESS AND WIRED SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY
The new models feature built-in Wi-Fi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable-free connection between the driver or passenger’s smartphone and the receiver.
- Android Auto Wireless and Android Auto – Two models, the AVIC-W8400NEX and AVH-W4400NEX offer compatibility with both Android Auto Wireless and Android Auto over USB, particularly convenient for those who want to charge their phones as they drive. Android Auto brings the user’s favorite smartphone apps into one place, making it easier for the driver to access his or her favorite navigation, media, and communication apps on the road while minimizing distractions.
- Apple CarPlay – All three receivers provide compatibility with Apple CarPlay and support connecting to a compatible iPhone using either a wireless connection or a wired USB connection. Apple CarPlay is the smarter, safer and more fun way to use an iPhone in the car.
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracast wireless mirroring – Providing additional wireless connectivity, particularly for owners of older Android smartphones, Miracast enables seamless display of multimedia content5 between compatible devices and is offered on all three models.
CAR-TO-HOME SMART HOME INTEGRATION READY
Drivers with a connected smart home can remotely take command of their smart devices from the road using any of the new NEX in-dash receivers.
- Google Assistant is now a part of Android Auto. Google Assistant lets the user have a conversation with Google to get things done in his or her world. Google Assistant works with more than 1,000 smart devices from more than 150 popular brands, making it easy to control things around the user’s house just by voice. Google Assistant compatible devices can now report their status and be controlled directly from the car.
- Siri® helps you do all sorts of things with CarPlay while driving, including controlling your HomeKit® compatible devices remotely from your car (requires Apple HomeKit hub).6
- Pandora Station Creation and Station Presets – The dedicated Pandora source on the NEX receivers offers the Pandora station creation feature that enables users to create new Pandora stations while the app is in use with an iPhone device or compatible Android smartphone. Users can simply tap on the currently playing song or artist via the face of the receiver and dynamically create a new Pandora station based on track or artist. Pandora enables listeners to store their personalized stations on six presets for easy access on the receiver.
- USB Connectivity – When connected to an iPhone, iPod, or portable USB drive device via the USB port, users can use basic controls (Play/Pause/FF/Rev/Random/Repeat) and display track, artist and album information.
- SiriusXM Radio Connectivity – The 2018 NEX models are SiriusXM® compatible with the addition of a SXV300 SiriusXM Vehicle Connect Tuner (sold separately, SiriusXM subscription required). The receivers are also compatible with the Tune Start™, Tune Scan™, Tune Mix and Sports Flash features of SiriusXM.
- HD Radio® Technology – For high quality audio broadcasts, the three models feature a built-in HD Radio tuner, providing clear digital reception of HD Radio and additional multi-casting programming on HD1, HD2 and HD3 broadcasts from participating radio stations across the country.
CUSTOMIZED AUDIO PERFORMANCE
- Optimized PCB layout for superior audio signal integrity and audiophile-grade capacitors and other components tuned to produce truly premium audio
- Built-in Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment provide customized audio adjustments for the driver7
- 13 band Graphic Equalizer with touch panel swipe setting and built-in high/low pass crossover with expanded adjustable crossover points and slopes
- Ability for users to play back full HD videos stored on a USB and NTFS files stored on a compatible external HDD5,8
- Receivers offer playback of files encoded as high-res FLAC up to 192kHz/24 bit and provide playback output at CD-quality (44kHz/16bit resolution)
- High power MOSFET 50W x 4
- Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity – All models feature built-in Bluetooth wireless connectivity for convenient hands-free calling and music streaming with compatible Bluetooth enabled devices. Users can pre-register up to 20 smartphones with the receivers, enabling hands-free calling and/or music to be streamed from any of the 20 previously paired phones, eliminating the need to pair and unpair devices.
- To maximize the connectivity options and call quality for hands-free communication and wireless audio streaming, each NEX receiver features Bluetooth AVRCP 1.6 to provide browsing capability of a user’s media library, and HFP 1.6 with wideband speech for clearer overall sound quality, making it easier to recognize and understand voices during calls.
- iDatalink Maestro – with the installation of an iDataLink Maestro module, sold separately, preserve factory features such as climate control, performance gauges and vehicle information such as tire pressure and diagnostic codes. Features vary by vehicle.
- AppRadio Mode+ – iPhone and Android users have the ability to access and control in-vehicle apps directly from the receiver’s large touchscreen display when connected to an iPhone 5 or newer, or a compatible Android smartphone using the corresponding interface cable (sold separately).
- Navigation Options –
- AVIC-W8400NEX and AVIC-W6400NEX offer built-in, highly detailed turn-by-turn navigation with real-time traffic.
- The AVH-W4400NEX is compatible with Pioneer’s AVIC-U280 outboard navigation system (sold separately)
- Back up camera ready – Compatible with many original equipment (OE) rear-view cameras (aftermarket adaptor required, sold separately) and most aftermarket universal rear-view cameras, including Pioneer’s ND-BC8 rear-view camera (sold separately)9.
- Dual camera inputs – Option for consumers to enhance the rear visibility of their existing vehicles, beyond what can be seen in the rearview mirror
- The AVH-W4400NEX features a detachable face for security
The 2018 NEX receivers are now available at authorized Pioneer retailers with suggested retail prices of $1,200 (AVIC-W8400NEX), $800 (AVIC-W6400NEX) and $700 (AVH-W4400NEX).
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., headquartered in Torrance, Calif., is a preeminent manufacturer of leading-edge technology solutions for the mobile electronics aftermarket. Its affiliate Pioneer Automotive Technologies, Inc. (PAT) is a key supplier for Tier 1 automotive entertainment systems and components to vehicle manufactures. Pioneer is focused on creating the ultimate in-car entertainment experience with high performance audio and video components, as well as connectivity with today’s smart devices. Building off of more than 75 years of electronics experience, Pioneer has expanded into the cycle sports industry, designing world-class power meters and cycle computers for professional athletes and cycling enthusiasts.
CAUTION: Read all safety instructions in the product documentation before use. Distracted driving can result in serious injury or death. Only use a function when it is safe and legal in your location, pay attention to the road and your surroundings, and obey all traffic rules.
1Apple CarPlay requires iPhone 5 or newer with the latest version of iOS.
2Android Auto requires the Android Auto app on Google Play and an Android compatible smartphone running Android™ 8.0 (“Oreo”) or higher for Android Auto Wireless or Android 5.0 (“Lollipop”) or higher for Android Auto wired. Android Auto Wireless or Android Auto may not be available on all devices. Additional apps may be required for connected home status and control. Standard text message rates apply. Visit support.google.com/androidauto for more information.
3Wi-Fi Certified Miracast requires a compatible device. More information is available at www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/miracast.
4 Bluetooth functionality requires a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers.
5Video playback is enabled only when the vehicle is in park and the parking brake engaged.
6Apple HomeKit home hub required for remote access. Additional apps may be required for connected home status and control. Standard text message rates apply.
7To use Auto EQ or Auto Time Alignment, Pioneer’s CD-MC20 microphone is required. The CD-MC20 is sold separately from the receiver.
8For the full list of compatible format types, visit the product page- http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX.
9Rear visibility systems (backup cameras) are required under federal regulations in certain new vehicles according to a phase-in schedule that began on May 1, 2016. Owners of vehicles equipped with compliant rear visibility systems should not install or use this product in a way that alters or disables that system’s compliance with applicable regulations. If you are unsure whether your vehicle has a rear visibility system subject to these regulations, please contact the vehicle manufacturer or dealer.
Pioneer, AppRadio, and the Pioneer logo are registered trademarks of Pioneer Corporation.
iPhone, Siri, CarPlay, HomeKit, are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries.
Android, Android Auto, Android Auto Wireless, Google Play and other related marks are trademarks of Google LLC.
The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast and Miracast are registered trademarks of Wi-Fi Alliance.
Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG.
Pandora is a registered trademark of Pandora Media, Inc.
HD Radio and Artist Experience are proprietary trademarks of iBiquity Digital Corporation.
Sirius, XM, SiriusXM, SiriusXM Ready and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries.
iDatalink and Maestro are registered trademarks of Automotive Data Solutions Inc.